Are you in a rush to build a successful business or do you take the time to steadily grow? There are dangers in growing too quickly that can become costly to your business.
Do you remember Aesop’s fable of the Tortoise and the Hare? The hare thought he was a big shot because he could move and do things much faster than the tortoise. After listening to much bragging from the hare, the tortoise challenged the hare to a race. The hare knew he could easily win so he accepted the challenge. Part way through the race the hare decided to stop and take a nap, knowing that he was already far ahead of the tortoise, he was confident he had plenty of time to rest and still win the race.
While the hare was napping, the tortoise continued with his slow and steady crawl. Before long he had caught up to and passed the hare and ended up winning the race.
Are you like the hare or the tortoise? Do you race to get quick results or sales and then hit burn out and stop, rest, and then hit is hard again – making many mistakes along the way? Or do you take the slow and steady approach, making sure you are working efficiently and effectively – making sure you have the appropriate structures in place? It’s easy to get confused in thinking that achieving accelerated results in your business means getting to the end quicker when reaching accelerated results is really about taking the time to be properly prepared and work wisely along the way.
Have you ever driven over a speed bump, dismissing the traffic signs that instruct you to drive at 15 mph, and instead you continue through at 25 mph? If you were to continually do this you would damage your vehicle, creating a need for costly repairs.
When you speed through the steps in building your business, likewise, you will find yourself making costly mistakes. These mistakes will slow down your business rather than accelerate the process.
Here are some things you will want to have in place in order to achieve accelerated results in your business.
- A cash flow budget – create a budget to plan how the money flows in and out of the business so you are able to make wise decisions with how the money is spent before it’s spent. Without a plan, it’s easy to get distracted by unnecessary expenses.
- A financial tracking system – consistently track your income and expenses. This allows you to always know where the money is going so you can gauge if the money is being used efficiently.
- A workable pace – don’t get caught up in the rush of making quick money. When you are in a hurry, you become desperate – and desperation destroys a sale quicker than just about anything.
- A backup plan – every business faces ebbs and flows. Financial setbacks are a major destroyer of small businesses. Have a backup plan for keeping the business and yourself afloat financially during the down times.
- A mentor or coach – prepare yourself for emotional challenges before they arise. Everyone faces moments of discouragement in their business. A mentor or coach will walk you through those moments and keep you in the race.
While it may seem contradictory, the quick way of getting accelerated results in your business is by working at a slow and steady pace, making sure you have the proper procedures in place. Racing to the finish line creates problems that will slow down your progress.
Remember the tortoise who won the race – and build your business at a slow and steady pace.
Catherine M. White
Catherine M. White
Catherine M. White, founder of Accelerated Results 365, is an author, speaker and innovator. She works with high performance clients to strategically develop effective business processes for continued high level success using her signature system, P.O.W.E.R.R., designed specifically for visionaries, and entrepreneurs. This program leads to authoritative breakthroughs by creating innovative tools that enable businesses to catapult past the competition.
5 EASY STEPS TO AMPLIFY YOUR MESSAGE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Learn 5 simple things you can do to boost your social media presence in your marketing strategy.